From:
Roger Backhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:26:17 -0500
David Mitch raises some useful questions, to which I would add a few more.

There have been many other attempts to write surveys for much the
same purpose. One is the surveys that the Royal Economic Society
commissioned in the sixties. There was also the series of readings
published by Penguin Books (I don't know whether they were marketed
in the US) that had substantial introductory surveys as well as
reprints of articles. Another example, no doubt ineffective because
marketed as a LIbary reference work, is Jonathan Michie's "Reader's
Guide to the Social Sciences". Merely citing them is enough to make
the point that such things get out of date very quickly. Still
current are the Journal of Economic Surveys, and many encyclopedias,
not to mention many one-off surveys of particular fields.

The AEA surveys of the 1940s and 1950s were probably important for
reasons rooted in the history of the time. It might be worth trying
to explore these reasons (a potentially interesting HET project in
itself), and maybe the histories of other attempts to provide
surveys, with a view to working out what might work today.

More important, how would the proposed venture offer something beyond
that found in the New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics (second
edition, 2008), the online version of which was being updated as soon
as it was published? (Or the International Encyclopedia of Social
Science?) Is the argument that the HES would be trying to undercut
such publications (providing open-access material on the web to
institutions that do not subscribe to sources such as the New
Palgrave) or is it that the HES would produce something better? If
the latter, would it be worth asking where it is that existing
offerings fall short, and why the proposed venture would do better.

Issues concerning the web and the way it is used are, I suspect, a
key issue. Do none of you have the experience of recommending
students to read certain items that are ideal for an assignment, only
to find that they ignore it in favor of material they can find using
Google, even though the material fails to address the question?

Finally, if is a gap in the market, is there any danger that HES
involvement might backfire on HET? Do many economists not hold HET in
low esteem because they see history as no more than literature
surveys that establish claims to priority? Is there any danger that
the proposed venture might confirm this? Even if this is not a
problem, I think there is still the problem that surveys perform
different functions, and that ones that provide a historical
perspective do not necessarily do what economists want from a survey.
I would suggest that some of the best surveys took a clear position
on the issues under review and stimulated debate. If the writer of
the survey is not a protagonist before writing the survey, he or she
becomes one by virtue of writing the survey. In contrast, history
need not (perhaps should not) be driven by such concerns.

Roger Backhouse