From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:11:40 -0400
Roy writes:

The issue is that calling Smith "the founding
father of economics" instead of the "founder of economics" sets up a
reader's expectation that there is someone who then could be called
"the founding mother of  economics", else why introduce "father" at
all? The only point of using "father" is either insensitivity to
language or subtly to suggest that economics is itself gendered from
its beginnings.

Evelyn writes:

How is it that a discipline founded on the rhetoric of families manages
to marginalize families in most of its analysis and for most of its
history, pretending instead that we are all more or less rational adult
creatures who can make independent decisions?

Edith writes:

In my view trying to understand Adam Smith from a feminist perspective
brings to light how his perception and take on gender relations have
been of influence not only on his moral thinking but also on his pure
economics, to paraphrase Schumpter. This is a valid and promising
endevor, as it enriches our understanding of Smith and his work.

These people write about economics or economists without defining it.
Who knows whether a feminist critique of economics or Adam Smith can be
relevant to if one is unwilling to define economics and, by implication,
Adam Smith's contribution to it? Everyone knows Roy's views on the
definition of economics: let every flower bloom. One can hardly make
sense of the phrase that "economics is itself gendered from the
beginning." Whose economics? What economics?

Evelyn criticizes the assumption of choice and action on the grounds
that economists do not deal with families. This is a non sequitor. There
is no obligation of economics to deal with families. And the critique of
the assumption of choice and action is either a criticism of those
economists who make this assumption or, in my definition, a criticism of
economics as a field of endeavor. Such a critique is pretty shallow
given the obvious difference between those societies (and the families
therein?) in which market systems have developed and those in which they
have not.

Edith writes about Smith's pure economics. What does she mean, one asks?
It seems a stretch to me that a "feminist perspective" on "Adam Smith's
"take on gender relations" would have had a significant effect on his
discovery and transmission of the principle of the higher productivity
of the division of labor under capitalism. This is not to say that such
a "feminist perspective" would be uninteresting. Many reports are
interesting. It says that insofar as one is concerned with the history
of economics, Edith's "feminist perspective" on Adam Smith has so little
significance that one can safely ignore it.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics