From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:01:38 -0700
When it comes to rewriting history, Pat Gunning is well behind front-runner
Sarah Palin, but he's closing the gap when he writes that "The racists
(who?) argued (when? Where?) that thought is determined by race (how
defined?)."

It's hard to disentangle racism from classism, along with ethnocentrism and
sectarianism. Not only hard, but probably misleading and counterproductive.
Thus Malthus and his sympathizers (like Arthur Young and Nassau Senior)
faulted the lower classes for breeding, but their lower classes were to some
extent Irish and Catholic and rent-paying, as discerned and mocked in
Swift's "Modest Proposal", and confirmed in English heartless and fumbling
reaction to the Great Famine. Others were slaves of African descent.

In the later 19th Century the flood of cheap grain from various new world
frontiers put Malthus on the back burner, so eugenics took his place, with
its overt racism, blended of course with classism. This continued clear up
until Kaiser Wilhelm's Teutonism and Hitler's Aryanism discredited applied
eugenics. This smooth transition is brilliantly expounded in a chapter of
Dr. George Miller's 2000 book, On Fairness and Efficiency. Our profession's
warm embrace of Vilfredo Pareto indicates an underlying academic sympathy
for ideas of this orientation.

Mason Gaffney