From:
"Wells, Julian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:35:59 +0100
Reading Andrew Kliman’s comments on Samuelson, I was put in mind of the latter’s interventions in the debate about Friedman’s “as if” methodology, and in particular of the following passage (Samuelson 1965, page 1166):

"To help my understanding of these issues, Professor Massey kindly provided me with minimal references to related writings that should be of interest to economists, namely the Hempel and Nagel references of my bibliography. I benefited from this course of study, which I believe deepened my understanding of my own position."

One imagines that Massey, contra Samuelson, thought that the immediate purpose of reading other people’s work was to deepen one’s understanding of *their* position, rather than one’s own.

Samuelson’s conclusion is perfectly reasonable in itself, but given the emphasis he places on it in this passage it is difficult to believe that a need for accuracy about others’ work was uppermost in his mind.

Julian Wells

Reference:

Samuelson, Paul (1965) ‘Professor Samuelson on Theory and Realism: Reply’, The American Economic Review, Vol. 55, No. 5, Part 1 (Dec., 1965), pp. 1164-1172.
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1809235 .
Accessed: 23/08/2011 03:14

Dr Julian Wells

Director of Studies