From:
Peter J Boettke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:21:31 -0400
Larry,

I don't know if this is accurate.  But when I studied with him, Kenneth Boulding told me that his textbook was the first textbook that made the micro/macro split.  I believe that book came out in the late 1940s prior to Sameulson's book.  If Boulding had the split in Economic Analysis, then it must have been the emerging practice.  I would look around the date of those publications in the 1940s.

But the first edition of Samuelson's book, has the macro chapters upfront prior to the microeconomics chapters.  I believe that became the standard practice for years.

Alchian and Allen fought against that trend of macro first, but it was not a successful text in terms of wide-scale adoption in the 1960s. But it did become a standard reference text for a generation of the counter-revolutionaries to the Neo-Keynesian synthesis --- property rights, public choice, new economic history, etc.

I believe Gwartney and Stroup is the first text that has some success that moved micro prior to macro once again.  And that is in the 1970s.

Peter J. Boettke
BB&T Professor for the Study of Capitalism at the Mercatus Center, George Mason University
&
University Professor & Professor of Economics
Department of Economics, MSN 3G4
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703-993-1149