From:
Sergio Birchal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:28:35 -0500
Dear Felix,

When thinking about Import Substitution I believe
it is important to study the history of actual
cases. In this sense, the following books seem to me useful:
    * Peter Evans (Dependent Development: The
alliance of Multinational, State, and Local
Capital in Brazil and Embedded Autonomy)
    * Wilson Suzigan (Industrialização Brasileira)
    * Alice Amsden (The Rise of the Rest)
    * Marshall Eakin (British Enterprise in Brazil and Tropical Capitalism)
The books by Evans, Suzigan, and Eakin look at
the process of import substitution from the point
of view of the formation of firms. Amsden's book
brings a comparative view of the process of
industrilization in Latin America and Asia.
Finally, my book (Entrepreneurship in
Nineteenth-Century Brazil: The Formation of a
Business Environment) I looks at the process of
industrialization in an inland region (Minas Gerais) rich in commodities.

I hope to have been useful, although not having addressed exaclty your request.

Your sincerely,

Sérgio Birchal