From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 13:04:05 -0400
On 5/18/2011 9:17 AM, Colander, David C. wrote:

> I really don't care whether people are called scientists or not.  But I do care when what I consider an inappropriate methodology is used, when ideology gets masked as science, and when somehow one thinks that a pure scientist has something relevant to say about policy simply by the fact that they are a pure scientist, and generalists who have a sense of the institutions and history are not turned to for policy advice because they don't do science.  That is what I think the current state of affairs is in economics, and I think the Classical distinction which kept pure science out of policy, and made clear that its goal was not policy was useful.  As I said in an earlier post, it that goal could be achieved by some other way--say using Pigou's distinction between realistic science (applied) and pure science, I would be happy with that. But, given what happened with Pigou's realistic science welfare economics, I don't see it as likely that it will. I've toyed with defining an engineering or applied policy (political economy--Robbins' solution in his Ely lecture to this problem) classification to distinguish the two, but my suggestions haven't been taken up by the profession, which considers all of economics science. It is that "scientific" mindset that rules out the study of the history of thought or even economic history as economics--it's not science.  Other sciences don't teach history of thought--why should we. If you accept that economics is a science, then you can't answer them that you need history of thought and economic history to do good policy analysis.

Those who wish a clarification of what David means by his references to
Pigou might refer to:

http://www.econlib.org/library/NPDBooks/Pigou/pgEW1.html

In paragraph #2, one finds the distinction between positive economics
(economics science, realistic science) of which we are all familiar from
the textbooks -- statements about what is -- and normative economics --
statements about what ought to be. This was probably the genesis of what
would later become the precepts promoted by theoretical welfare
economics. Unfortunately, Pigou following Marshall neglected to observe
the trend in early neoclassical economics in the direction of a science
of action based on the classical observation that a division of labor
expands productivity.

The practitioners of what Pigou called normative economics -- or, more
accurately, the science of economic policy -- neglected two important
characteristics of the "normative economics" of some of their cohorts.
The first is that the evaluation of a government policy requires a
method of determining the benefits and costs of the intervention. The
only benchmark that exists is the consumer role's willingness and
ability to pay. To define this benchmark in a way that is meaningful,
one must conceive of a functional economy in which the function of the
entrepreneur role is to satisfy the wants of individuals in the consumer
role. In other words, in order to identify the benefits and costs of an
intervention, the economist must compare two economies: one that
contains the intervention and one that does not contain it. And he must
compare them on the basis of a determination of how the entrepreneur
role will act and its effects on the consumer role. Pigou and his
followers did not do this. They merely assumed that the readers would
agree with them about benefits and costs. In the bulk of the cases, they
adopted a partial equilibrium approach following Marshall. In other
cases, they assumed a robot economy that contains no entrepreneur role.
The means of making such a comparison were in the process of being
invented by Herbert Davenport (Economics of Enterprise: 1913), Phillip
Wicksteed (“The Scope and Method of Political Economy in the Light of
the `Marginal’ Theory of Value and Distribution”: 1914) and Frank Knight
(Risk, Uncertainty and Profit: 1921). But the task was not completed
until the writings of W. H. Hutt (“The Concept of Consumers’
Sovereignty”: 1940) and Ludwig von Mises (Human Action: 1949). The
normative economists proceeded under the assumption that agreement
regarding benefits and costs could be reached. Since they could not
articulate a reasonable argument to the effect that benefits and costs
could be determined, they were susceptible to the criticisms made by
theoretical welfare economists who formalized Pigou but in the process
neglected the fact that without a market economy and its accompanying
entrepreneur role, the division of labor would have to be limited to
that achievable in a command society.
The division between positive and normative economics became the
standard for all of the economics textbooks of which I am aware that
were written after Samuelson's Economics. They are the basis for modern
professional economics, and for David's effort to distinguish between
Art and Science. And they have been largely responsible for the
widespread belief that a market economy is not necessary to achieve a
division of labor that is sufficiently expansive to feed the populations
of the world today, let alone to provide them with ipads and gas.
Much of what David regards a biased Art consist of policy
recommendations that use a definition of benefits and cost that cannot
be justified by the appeal to the consumer role in relation to the
entrepreneur role. It neglects the requirements necessary to achieve the
kind of world that what David would call economic artists write about.
The classical economists and the early neoclassical economists mentioned
in the last paragraph did not neglect these requirements. Nor did they
ignore reality. Reality for them is that, so far as we know, only the
conditions of private property rights, free enterprise, and the use of a
reasonably stable money are capable of enabling human actors to achieve
the potential expansive division of labor that we associate with the
modern world. The modern economist who study "what is" are often not led
to this reality because they try to define reality without references to
the means and ends that real human beings possess. They follow the
mathematical theoretical welfare economists and ignore the later
developments in economic theory that started with the marginal
productivity theory of distribution.

The second characteristic that was disregarded by the "normative
economists" who followed Pigou is that nothing in the writings of
economics warranted the belief that the enforcer of an intervention and,
more generally, the enforcer of the market economy itself -- the state
-- could put into effect the policies that the "normative economist"
might recommend. Economics does not deal with this subject. As Coase and
a host of Public Choicers and other pointed out, there is a prospect of
government failure. Pigou's pure economic science had no theorems to
deal with that. Much of the remainder of what David regards as biased
Art is merely a reflection of the ignorance of the fact that economics
lacks a means of predicting how agents of the state will act when they
are entrusted to carry out a policy.

As I suggested before, I believe that David's history of economics
leaves out a large chunk of economics. His recommendations regarding how
to use the phrase "economic science" reflect a gap in his treatment of
the history of economics. It is not ideological to take account of the
classical observation that the division of labor tends to expand
productivity or of the early neoclassical transformation of that
observation into the view that the action of the entrepreneur role tends
to be in the interest of the consumer role. It is an acknowledge of the
reality discovered by our predecessors. The choice is not between
ideology and science but between ignorance and knowledge.

Wicksteed, P. (1914) “The Scope and Method of Political Economy in the
Light of the `Marginal’ Theory of Value and Distribution.” Economic
Journal 24 (March): 3-26.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics