From:
Flavio Comim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:33:42 +0000
Dear Sergio,

I will answer your question at the end of my message (but before, if I may,
I will indulge into offering some comments about the very interesting
debate that you have incited):

Development economists consider that the origin of the contemporary concept
of development was President's Truman 1949 speech ('the so called Point
Four'). That happens for two reasons. First, because he proposed
development in a broad international perspective organised around aid and
technical assistance (which are very much contemporary features of
development practises). Secondly, because he was able to institutionalise
development through the United Nations (think about the theoretical
contributions by UNDP, ILO, UNCTAD). Indeed, most of what we call nowadays
development cannot be seen without this international perspective (think
about MGDs, Climate Change, etc).

It is true that Smith and Mill and Marx (to mention just a few) discussed
much earlier than the WWII phenomena that are associated with development,
broadly speaking. In fact, they talked about 'progress' (either material or
moral), but never within the Human Rights framework adopted by the UN after
Truman's speech (institutional aspect). Some might argue that colonialist
policies were replaced by development policies and that the cold war
produced different streams (for the heterodoxy we could mention the Bandung
1955 conference, quite important for defining 'underdevelopment' followed
by the New International Economic Order (NIEO) of the 60s and the
Prebish-Singer group). I would agree with that.

But much followed after the 1950s and 1960s. A new world of development
economics started after Robert Mcnamara's address to the board of governors
of the World Bank in 1972 in which he talked about poverty, inequality and
basic needs. Professor Des Gasper has written several papers on this
subject. I understand that Sir Richard Jolly has also done a great job in
putting an intellectual history of the UN together in several volumes that
tell with details this story. They might be useful references to your
project.

And then we have the human development perspective, that completed in 2010
twenty years (based on the publication of the first Human Development
Report). Indeed, the last Human Development Report brings a little bit of
their history, but books by Mahbub ul Haq, Paul Streeten and Amartya Sen
(see the nice collection put together by Sakiko Fukuda Parr some years ago
with some of their contributions) can situate much better what happened in
the last twenty years.

To conclude, my view is that unless you are interested in what specific
authors have said about development, I would not delve into what economists
said much earlier before the end of the WWII (Keynes might be an
exception). I am aware that my comment might not be very popular and by no
means I wish to suggest that the contrary comments you have received
earlier are not very interesting and valid as a historical perspective to
the subject, but I would focus on the contemporary meaning of the term.

And to answer your question, the best book I know on the topic is 'The
History of Development: from western origins to global faith' (London, Zed
Books, 2008 [was written earlier in French, but updated])

Kind regards,

Flavio

Flavio Comim
University of Cambridge, UK
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil