From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:52:01 -0700
If S increases, C falls (the consumer goods sector shrinks, proportionately). But if all the new S become new capital expenditure the capital goods sector expands (initially - ignoring multiplier effects - by exactly the same $ amount as the consumer goods sector shrimks). Y therefore does not fall. The Paradox of Thrift fails.

The permanent end of the Era of Permanent Financial Crises requires an injunction of biblical proportions: banks that do not lend neither shall they take deposits. Deposits should be held by the Central Bank until a capital expenditure loan is ready to be issued or withdrawls about to be made. The price mechanism (the interest rate on new capital expenditure) - not the quantity of loans - should be allowed to clear the market.

RL