From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:09:41 -0800
James writes:

1. When one recognizes that savings are spent, "and nearly at the same time too" (Smith, _WN_; see also Mill, _Works_, 2: 70), one would recognize that increased savings do not decrease "aggregate demand" (C + I + G).

and

2. With a non-zero interest elasticity of demand for loanable funds, increased savings decreases interest rates and increases the quantity of loanable funds demanded to be spent.

With respect to 1. If savings are hoarded by banks or used to buy second hand assets there is no net spending.

With respect to 2. The quantity of loanable funds is irrelevant when banks choose not to loan.

RL