From:
Nicola Giocoli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 06:46:56 +0000
Even more pedant. I don't have the text in front of me here (so I am only half-pedant...), but I recall that in that paper Samuelson first wrote "math is A language"; then he corrected himself (and the learned physicists who said it earlier, too) into "math is language", claiming that this was the best - actually, the only - way to put it.
The latter is what I suggest to call the Samuelsonian disease!

I agree with John that many contemporary economists look more or less immune from it, but the backbone, the underlying structure of much of their empirical analysis (both in micro - RCT -and macro - DSGE) is, I guess, still largely "infected". And I suspect many of them are even unaware of that, because of their lack of methodological and historical training.

Nicola
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from WIND