From:
Richard Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:25:21 -0800
I have always been fascinated to watch how some topic originally suggested
on this chat line evolves into discussions that are less and less related to
the original posting, although not uninteresting in themselves. Some
comments on this case in point.

I apologise for my slip of the pen in writing "the price level" when, of
course, I should have said the rate of change of the price level. In
Phillips' original stabilisation paper his curve relates deviations of
national income, Y, from some target level to the rate of change of the
price level.

For those who posted suggestions and to those who wrote privately with one
or two quotes that got close to what I wanted, my thanks.
As to the comments on the relevance of models and mathematics, my position
is they, like any other human construct, have uses and abuses. Discussion
the abuses in one context, such as what I want to do in the paper I am
preparing does not imply that there are not valid uses as well. In this
context, I agree with pretty well everything that Barkley Rosser has
written. My own first encounter with the misuse that concerned Mark Blaug
and I came when, as a graduate student, my teachers mused about the
instability of the capitalist system as a result of teaching  the
Harrod-Domar model of the knife edge "equilibrium" of the highly (I would
say unrealistically) simplified Harrod-Domar "dynamic" macro model.

I completely agree that Mary Morgan's (2012) "The World in the Model: How
Economists Work and Think" is highly relevant to the ensuing discussion. and
so are several other works, including Larry Boland's "Model Building in
Economics: Its uses and limitations" (2014). I gave some of my views on
these and related issues in  my article "Successes and failures in the
transformation of economics", The Journal of Economic Methodology, (2001).

Richard LIpsey