From:
Glenn Hueckel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:09:55 -0700
John,

Just providing, for illustration, one of the references suggested by Tyler

  Nicomachean Ethics, Bk. V, ch. 5 (1133b, 10):

"Now it is money which gives us a guarantee of future exchange.  If we need nothing at the moment, it guarantees that exchange will take place when the need arises.  For when we bring money, it must be possible to get what we need.  But it is true that what happens to goods also happens to money, i.e., it does not always have equal value.  Still it tends to be constant. ... thus, money acts like a measure: it makes goods commensurable and equalizes them."

(Martin Ostwald translation)

Glenn Hueckel