From:
Daniele Besomi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 07:20:11 +0200
Robert Leeson asks:

> Does anyone have instances of devotees "borrowing" and never returning archival material?

Harrod was surely one. A fair amount of materials belonging to Keynes ended up among Harrod's own papers (there seems to have been some legal dispute between the present owners of the Keynes and Harrod papers). The papers were moved, however, BEFORE they went to the archives, at the time Harrod was writing the biography of Keynes and had access to all the materials.

Again, one can speculate whether there was some selection process here. Among the materials Harrod moved, there are all his own letters to Keynes concerning his (Harrod's) career (e.g., asking for advice or support as a young scholar, but also later at the time of Britain entering WW2). Perhaps (again I am speculating here) he did not want scholars to find out before his own death.

Daniele Besomi