From:
Alex Millmow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:17:01 +1100
25TH HETSA Conference

The History of Economic Thought Society of Australia will celebrate its 25th jubilee conference in Melbourne in July, 2011.  Please note the conference will take place from Thursday, 5 July till Saturday, 8 July in the historic Royal Society of Victoria Building, 1-9 Victoria Street, Melbourne. (It’s just a stone throw from where this year conference, hosted by RMIT University, took place). For those interested the 41ST Australian Conference of Economists starts on the 9TH July at Victoria University.
There are currently two Keynote speakers for our conference.  Susan Howson from the University of Toronto, and a member of the editorial board of the History of Economics Review, will give a keynote address on the writing of her magnificent biography on Lionel Robbins which has just been published. Deirdre McCloskey, Distinguished professor of economics at the University of Illinois in Chicago, will speak on ‘How ideology changed 1600-1848 and why it mattered’. Next year’s conference will have a session on the education of Australian economists and Max Corden, Joe Isaac and another honoured guest will feature here.
       The theme of this year’s conference will be ‘The Future of the History of Economic Thought’. Consequently we hope to have as many young Australian-based HET scholars to give papers on their research topics. In that regard please avail your research students of this opportunity and the concessional registration price.

The Royal Society of Victoria building is adjacent to Mantra on the Park,
 333 Exhibition Street,
 Ph 03 96682500

They have rooms available to us at the following special rates for the following nights July 4-7:

One bedroom $179 per night
Two Bedroom $299 per night
Note that the Conference is in the Melbourne CBD on the edge of Carlton. Accommodation is plentiful and easy to get. Log onto www.wotif.com where you will find a quite good selection of hotels in every price range.
The conference dinner will take place on the Friday evening with a guest speaker.
The welcoming cocktail reception will take place on Wednesday evening, 4 July at HETSA house, 84 St David Street, Fitzroy. This is my personal residence.
HETSA members: $300.00
Non-members: $360.00
HETSA members retired: $200.00
Students: $150
Please contact me if you have any concerns or inquiries, and, most particularly, regarding the submitting of abstracts for next year’s conference. Further details will be on the web page at HETSA.org.au