From:
Polly Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:59:46 -0400
I'd like to offer a slightly different, more micro, take on Mill's
statement: Most investment is replacement investment. But that
investment can vary greatly in factor proportions, providing different
rates of employment. For example, we can patch potholes in city
streets--a fairly labor-intensive process, or we can dig up the streets
and replace them with new--a fairly capital-intensive process. Public
policy generally biases investment decisions to greater
capital-intensity. J. B. Clark squashed such considerations out of
existence by making everything adjust simultaneously as he
hypothetically adds labor or capital to the economy. (Clark,
Distribution of Wealth, Chps 12 & 13, 1902)