From:
michael perelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:59:42 -0700
I'm not foolish enough to think that one single factor can explain the
cataclysmic consequences of an economic crisis.  However, the rhythm
of the US economy may be seen as one of periods of intense
competition/crises and prosperity/slack competition.  The acceleration
of productivity during the Great Depression and during our recent
crisis is indicative of what I mean.

I do not intend to suggest that inequality, deregulation,
shortsightedness, overconfidence and many other factors played a role
in what is unfolding today.

I have discussed this interpretation in a number of books.  The most
relevant would be The Confiscation of American Prosperity: From
Right-Wing Extremism and Economic Ideology to the Next Great
Depression (NY: Palgrave, 2007), which in October 2007, just as the
stock market peaked.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department