From:
Gabriel Martinez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 02:31:59 +0000
Dear Pat,

To your original question "Why on earth would someone want to hold money that is destined to die?" perhaps the answer is that being paid (as a government worker) with money with an expiry date beats not being paid at all; and the use of such money beats barter.

From the point of view of the public, it is no different than Zimbabwe's hyperinflationary emission of currency: the Zim dollar was known to become quickly worthless and so was unattractive to hold. But government workers preferred to be paid in (soon-to-be-worthless) Zim dollars than in IOUs.

Finally, you say that it would make sense to "short sell all of the nation's money today." That is, it would make sense to stop hoarding money and use it as quickly as possible to buy goods and services.

I'm not arguing that this is a good policy but I can see how someone would think it is a good way to stimulate consumption.

(My apologies if these points were already made)

Yours,

Gabriel

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile