From:
"Duggan, Marie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:40:59 -0400
I share Professor Zenker's concerns, and my own
curiosity has taken me into Latin American
economic thought: I began with Oreste Popescu's
work, "Studies in the History of Latin American
Economic Thought" (Routledge, 1997).  He argues
the broad foundation for Latin American economic
thought was scholastic philosophy, upon which was
placed a second building block of mercantilist
ideas, with economic liberalism as a tiny turret
upon the top (p. 4)--one sentence that
immediately clued me in to a great deal.  This
suggested I explore Spanish scholastic ideas,
which I did through Odd Langholm's work,
"Economics in the Medieval Schools," E.J. Brill
1992, and "The Merchant and the Confessional"
(Brill 2003), which in turn led me to the work of
Tomás de Mercado.  The first fruit of this
research was an article on how scholastic ideas
influenced Franciscans in Latin American California in HOPE 2005.

Next, to explore that "tiny turret" of economic
liberalism in Latin America, I read an essay by
Mexican liberal Jose Maria Luis Mora.  He
published an essay in 1833 justifying
expropriation of church land and wealth:
Disertacion sobre la naturaleza y aplicacion de
las rentas y bienes eclesiasticos y sobre la
autoridad a que se hallan sujetos en cuanto a su
creación, aumento, subsistencia o
suppression.  (Interlibrary loaned from Puerto
Rico!).  To understand the larger Iberian
literature which had influenced him, I then read
Pedro de Campomanes, advisor to King Carlos III
in the 17th century.  He had argued that the
church should no longer be subject to tax exempt
status in Tratado de la regalía de amortización
(1765).  This was widely read in Europe at the
time, it seems he touched a nerve.  A generation
later Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos wrote the more
elegant (in terms of economic logic) Sobre la Ley
Agraria (1794), in which he argued that the only
way the price of land would fall to a level where
farming could be profitable is if lands
bequeathed to the church (especially to the
regular orders) were expropriated and put back on
the market--a straightforward supply and demand
problem.  I have submitted an article on the
Campomanes/Jovellanos part of this project to JHET.

I'm still working on tracing how those Iberian
ideas filtered through the Mexican liberal milieu
of Mora into the "secularization" of the Mexican
California in the 1830s. It amazed me initially
that there were so few books on these topics of
non-European and even non-English speaking
political economy.  It is like pulling on the tip
of a very large iceberg.  If anyone reading this
finds that they are working on similar topics, it
would be nice to hear from them. My email is [log in to unmask]

Marie Duggan