From:
"Colander, David C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:14:02 +0000
I have stayed out of this, but I decided to throw in my two cents.

 I think both Classical and Keynesian views of the depression make sense.  It is all in the nuance of how one interprets them.  Classicals, such as Mill and Marshall (who I see as following a classical methodogy) and Keynes, who as a follower of Marshall also followed a classical methodology, connected theory and policy together in a different way than did later economists who adopted a Walrasian methodology.
Laws to them were principles that were used to provide insight and to correct arguments. They were not everywhere and always true, and weren't meant to be.

 What became known as Say's Law was simply an argument that some people's argument against too little demand being the cause of recessions was too simple--that real demand is tied to real supply.  It was part of their broader separation of the monetary and real sector that was part of the quantity theory (which also was not a hard a fast theory, but rather general tendencies.)  Keynes was part of that Classical tradition and in the Treatise attempted to shoehorn the depression into it.

 He soon came to believe that it didn't fit well enough, so he devised a new framework--it said that sometimes economies could get out of killter so much so that even if the long run classical model is correct, that is irrelevant because the adjustment is too slow for the political structure.  He never developed his theory--he was pulled into policy and then died--but the outlines of theory were there--today it would be explained as a problem of complex systems dynamical adjustment, where there are lots of temporary basins of attraction that an economy can get stuck in, making it impossible to reach a more desirable basin.

Keynesian policy, which was not seen as permanent,  was designed to push the economy to a preferable equilibria.  The theoretical issues surrounding Keynesian policy all concern dynamical adjustment systems of comlplex systems,  they do not concern  equilibrium issues, although there are issues of multiple equilbira that can also be models.   Keynesian policy as affecting dynamcal adjustment makes sense in the Classical framework, which is why Keynes thought he had corrected a theoretical flaw in Classical theory--the flaw was that it did not sufficiently consider dynamical adjustment properties of the aggregate economy. But Keynesian theory can be seen as an (important) adjustment to Classical theory, not a whole new theory.

That was not the way Keynesian theory was  developed--as it moved to neoKeynesian, Keynesian theory was shoehorned into a unique equilbirum Walrasian model that was not even closely up to the task of providing a solid foundation for Keynes's ideas. That is the insight of Post Keynesians and fundamentalist Keynesians.  Today, in my view,  the interesting theoretical work in macro is being done in the study of dynamical complex systems, and little of that has filtered down to the texts or the general discussion, which is why there is so little ability to talk.

Dave Colander