Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:34:36 +0200
Colleagues
James C.W. Ahiakpor and several of his commentators are discussing what Adam Smith meant in his proposals for reform of the education of minors in Book V of WN.
Mostly, I found these contributions illuminating.  However, in so far as there is some argument about Smith's intentions I think there is an ever present tendency to transfer actual conditions in the 18th century to modern, advance capitalist democracies and the institutional arrangements that evolved and emerged after Smith died in 1790, though the beginning of the changes that were underway with the successful rebellion of what became the USA.
What people may have voted for in the 19th century with the extension of the electoral franchise in Britain and the US (not completed until the 1960s) and what was available to Adam Smith - there is no evidence that he ever had a vote or was able to exercise the luxury of advising citizens, male or female on how to vote to finance his modest proposals, other than from existing general government revenues.  The Education Acts in Britain did not commence until the 1860s.
It is evident that Smith was trying the persuade the male government to invest modest sums in providing necessary facilities, hence his harrowing picture of the possible consequences of not doing so in respect of young boys sent out to work who remained ignorant and prey to "enthusiasts" and "agitators"  as they entered  the adult workforces.  It was not his point, as often asserted, that the threat to political stability came from the division of labour, it was that they did so ignorant of basic arithmetic and reading because they experienced no education, especially in England (it was long the different practice in Scotland in the "little schools" spread across the country that was his model for the necessary reform and never the ending of the division of labour).  This was a formidable programme; a "little school in every parish" required 60,000 of them to be set up in England.  The Scottish schools already functioned well, based on parental charges, charitable awards and such like. We know, for example, that he personally funded the education of his adopted heir, at his school and his university stages.
Smith was a pragmatist; he worked within the constraints of what was available.  He cannot be post-recruited to either modern public good ideas or to the liberal and social democratic possibilities of later societies.
Gavin Kennedy, emeritus professor, Heriot-Watt University ([log in to unmask])