From:
"Denis, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 19:09:32 +0100
Dear list-members

Alan Freeman said
> I would be interested to know if we agree with Gary that the distinction arose only with Keynes' intervention.

The General Theory, Ch 21 "The theory of prices", p293: "The division of economics between the theory of value and distribution on the one hand and the theory of money on the other hand is, I think, a false division.  The right dichotomy is, I suggest, between the theory of the individual industry or firm and of the rewards and the distribution between different uses of a *given* quantity of resources on the one hand, and the theory of output and employment *as a whole* on the other hand."  Keynes felt this new dichotomy was an essential contribution of the book and commented in the preface to the French edition (p xxxii) that "important mistakes have been made through extending to the system as a whole conclusions which have been correctly arrived at in respect of a part of it taken in isolation".

Regards

Andy

Dr Andy Denis
Director of Undergraduate Studies