From:
Thomas Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:40:58 -0500
This thread has continued much too long. This is my last submission to
the discussion.

1. James Ahiakpor posed examples of what he thinks is Keynes's
misleading language that distorts his macroeconomics. I don't agree
with James. It's quite natural to define saving in the Keynesian
fashion as the non-consumed portion of income. And broad money, M1,
M2, or M3 is, more than the monetary base M0, the relevant money stock
from the viewpoint of the determination of nominal spending.
Furthermore, the Kahn-Keynes multiplier is hardly a misleading
concept, although its quantitative magnitude is a matter of
contention. Moreover, assuming the natural rate of interest always
works to equilibrate saving with investment, then saving is a good
thing both in the short run and the long. But if the natural rate
fails in the short run to coordinate S and I such that the first
outruns the second, then the resulting excess S is indeed a leakage
that lowers spending and real activity.

2. James calls our attention to Viner's and Knight's book review
comments on The General Theory regarding Keynes's unnecessarily
creative coinage of new terms for old concepts. Fair enough. But that
does not mean that Keynes's classical reviewers, Viner especially,
judged The General Theory to be misleading and useless. On the
contrary, as David Laidler notes on page 283 of his Fabricating the
Keynesian Revolution, Viner, together with Hawtrey, Robertson, and
Pigou "all endorsed Keynes's claims to have clarified certain
theoretical questions in a useful way." For the most part, Keynes's
classical critics judged The General Theory to be a novel, useful, but
hardly revolutionary, contribution to the ongoing literature on what
we now call macroeconomics.

3. I agree with James that the Fed controls the nominal, not the real,
money stock. The public determines the real money stock via its
expenditure of the nominal stock until the price level adjusts to make
the real value of that stock equal to what the public wishes to hold.

4. I stand by my argument that the Fed caused the recession by failing
to expand broad money sufficiently to match the public's increased
demand for that stock. The "proof" is that the level of total nominal
spending, or MV (where V is the circulation velocity of money M) is
well below its pre-slump trend level. Owing to the public's desire to
hold the safest liquid asset, the demand for money has outrun the
supply. The resulting excess demand for money has resulted in a
slowing of expenditures and economic activity as the public attempts
to build its cash balance and so eliminate the excess demand for
money. In other words, V (the obverse of the demand for money) has
slowed to such an extent that even with an increased M, the product MV
hasn't kept pace with its level on the pre-slump path.  The Fed could
restore spending and economic activity to its pre-slump path by
increasing M sufficiently to counter the slowing of V.

5. Paul Krugman is not my hero. He writes a perceptive and stimulating
blog and column. And I agree with James and Greg Mankiw that David
Hume was one of the greatest monetary theorists who ever lived, and
certainly Keynes's equal as a monetary theorist.

Tom Humphrey