From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:00:11 -0800
It is intruiguing to think that Keynes may (or may not) have attempted to assist the dictatorship of an Austrian (with German citizenship after 1932) who picked up anti-Semetism in Vienna (hatreds which Hayek's parents apparently contributed to) and whose path to power was assisted by the application of the Austrian business cycle promoted by Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon (plus the contagion caused by the collapse of the Austrian Credit-Anstalt bank).

How does Mises' support of fascism fit in here?  Or Hayek's 1978 defence of the "civilisation" of the Nazi-led apartheid regime against the "fashion ... of human rights" which the US discovered "two years ago or five years ago." Perhaps the only other country who could - and did - elect a Nazi (or ex-Nazi?) President at that time was Austria. Neither Machlup nor Popper thought it wise for Jews to return to the adopted fantasy land of so many Americans intellectuals.

RL