From:
"Peart, Sandra" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:12:57 -0500
The 13th annual Summer Institute for the Preservation of the History of Economics will be held at the University of Richmond, June 29-July 2, 2012.  The Institute offers a forum for graduate students and distinguished scholars to present work in progress or more polished papers to a lively audience. Our mission is to help young scholars connect in a workshop setting with young and eminent scholars in the field.  Past speakers include Brad Bateman, Mauro Boianovsky, Marcel Boumans, James Buchanan, Dave Colander, Evelyn Forget, Dan Hammond, Samuel Hollander, Kevin Hoover, M. Ali Khan, Anthony Laden, David Levy, Charles McCann, Deirdre McCloskey, Steve Medema, Phil Mirowski, Leon Montes, Mary Morgan, Maria Pia Paganelli, Sandra Peart,  Malcolm Rutherford, the late Warren Samuels, Eric Schliesser, Gordon Tullock, Anthony Waterman, and Roy Weintraub.

For the 2012 session, we invite proposals on any topic in the history of economic thought. New participants are welcome, as are recommendations and submissions from any and all interested parties. We welcome suggestions and proposals in any area of the History of Economics. Some possible topics are listed below.

We hope to organize a day examining the Thomas Jefferson Center, 50 years on.  Calculus of Consent, Growth of Industrial Production in the Soviet Union and In Search of  a Monetary Constitution all appeared in 1962.  Do we gain insight into the Virginia School by looking at them as a whole?

Second, we are interested in 19th century economists who were also logicians - Whately, Mill, Whewell, Jevons, "Lewis Carroll," Neville Keynes.  What insight about their economics do we gain by considering their logic?

Also of interest is the economics textbook landscape of the 1940s and later.  The review of Tarshis's text by Rose Wilder Lane had the consequence of presenting Samuelson's texts with a unique market position.  Are there other examples of the "public intellectuals" changing the classroom instruction of economics?

The late William Niskanen held that the Council of Economic Advisors has had a scandal free existence and might serve as a template for expertise in a political context. The economists are selected for short terms after which they return to their previous community. How does the CEA compare with the institutions in which economists make a career?

James Buchanan plans to participate, as he has in past years.

We anticipate that the Institute will be able to offer modest honoraria for presenters and students. Participation by upper-level undergraduate and graduate students in economics or related disciplines is encouraged. The History of Economics Society has assisted in the past with conference expenses for students.
Conference events include good coffee and continental breakfasts, lunches, as well as one or two working dinners. Details about travel, housing and other matters will be posted early in 2012.

Please send expressions of interest and paper proposals or queries to:

David M. Levy, Professor of Economics, George Mason University [log in to unmask]

Sandra J. Peart, Dean, Jepson School of Leadership Studies [log in to unmask]

--
David M. Levy
Professor of Economics