AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Elizabeth Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:18:25 -0500
First, sincere thanks to those members who have expressed interest in the online
archival outreach study, have contacted us personally, and have already
participated. Please accept our gratitude for your efforts.

If you have not yet participated in the study, please consider doing so today.
Below is a link to the online survey form. To participate, the response should
take no more than twenty minutes.

http://intra.fims.uwo.ca/courses/mlis/697/ArchivalSurvey/survey.html

As of today, there are insufficient participation levels from which to generate
valid conclusions.

Please review the formal invitation below, and consider an active role in this
study:
Subject: Archival Outreach Study Project Invitation
I am a Masters of Library and Information Science student at the
University of Western Ontario, undertaking a study of educational
archival outreach initiatives and programs in Canada.  This study
initiative is a portion of the degree program, and is under the
supervision of a faculty member.

Intentions of Study:

The study intends to document the current range of archival outreach
services available, especially for school aged children (K-12).  This
will lead to a better understanding of primary source provision by
archival institutions in our country.  Additionally, it will provide
insight to the educational facet of our profession, and draw particular
attention to the work of educating the next generation, as it is being
performed by our members.

Invitation to Participate in Study Project:

As an archive employee, or affiliated volunteer, you are invited to
complete an online questionnaire.  We hope you will consider
participating in the study.  The questionnaire should take no longer
than 20 minutes to complete.  Participation in this study is voluntary.
You may refuse to participate, refuse to answer questions or withdraw
from the study at any time.  There is no compensation for completing the
study.  There are no risks associated with completing this
questionnaire.  The benefit in doing so is the opportunity to reflect on
your own archive's outreach initiatives.  Consent is assumed if you fill
out the online survey.

All survey questionnaire responses will be confidential.  Your
completed, anonymous survey will be secured on a password protected
network and a back up copy will be cut on CD and stored in a locked
filing cabinet.  No information that discloses your identity will be
released.

Please gain access to the secured survey questionnaire at the following
link:

http://intra.fims.uwo.ca/courses/mlis/697/ArchivalSurvey/survey.html

To obtain a copy of the results, please contact us.  The final report
of the study will be deposited in the Graduate Resource Centre of the
Faculty of Information Studies, University of Western Ontario.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me (Elizabeth Simmons) at:
[log in to unmask] or

Dr. Don Spanner
Faculty of Information & Media Studies
University of Western Ontario
N6A 5B7

Ethics Department
Room 00045 Dental Sciences Bldg.
The University of Western Ontario London, Ontario  N6A 5C1
661-2111 ext. 84588

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Don Spanner                Elizabeth Simmons
Adjunct Professor and Advisor  Masters of Library and Information Sc. Candidate

Thank you for your participation.