Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:08 2006
From:
===================== HES POSTING ===================

There is a great deal of good sense in Flavio Comin's HES editorial
"Common Sense Economics".  Indeed, more than just good sense, there is
something important here -- and relevant to the central role of the
history of economic thought in the cognitive capacity of economists to
provide sound explanations of actual problem raising phenomena in the
domain of human beings, production, and exchange.

At one level this is simply the superior understanding of value theory and
price theory that one gets when one learns it from the 'common sense'
angle found in the work, for example, of the early Austrian economists,
rather than by unthinking mathematical rote from a textbook and the
chalk-board scribbling of an economist with more training in mathematical
equations than in the character of social problems and their causal
explanation.

I have no doubt that an upper level undergraduate or even a first year
student in grad school would acquire a much better handle on the real
character and limits of value theory and price theory after working
through Friedrich Wieser's _Natural Value_, with its 'common sense'
approach to thinking about the groundings of the logical validity of value
theory and its application, than after a year working with the typical
textbook in economics today, with it rote mathematical memorization and
problem solving, disconnnected from any link with human experience or the
argument patterns which justify any interest in value or price theory.

On another level what is important here is the primacy of our background
understanding to _any_ explanatory endevour, whether conceptual or causal.
 A good account of the primacy of our background understanding in
economics can be found in Wieser's above mentioned _Natural Value_, pp.
5-6, and in language and logic in the various later works of Ludwig
Wittgenstein.  With every day causal explanation, the primacy of
background understanding in our cognitive efforts is well pictured in
Larry Wright's important essay, "Argument and Deliberation:  A Plea for
Understanding", _J. of Philosophy_, Nov. 1995, pp. 565-585; and in science
in Joseph Rouse's _Engaging Science_ Cornell, 1996.  In my own work I have
combined the insights of Wright and Rouse (among others) to argue for the
central and non-optional role of narrative articulations of background
understanding within the context of the history of an explanatory problem
in the cognitive life of _any_ scientific endevour, giving examples in
Darwinian biology, and citing literature in the history of physics.
Science in part depends on episodes of articulating problems and patterns
in our experience, but with always an undischarged larger background of
unarticulated understanding in which those bits of articulation are
embedded.  (Those with a knowledge of Wittgenstein should already have
some deep sense of the significance of this point.)

Comim's important point about the appalling fact that "The aspects of
reality that are little or non-formalisable are practically ignored by
economic theories" is utterly devastating to the scientific and explanatory
pretentions of formalism in economics, when it is recalled that the most
important aspects of economic phenomena are precisely those which
necessarily stand outside of any set of 'givens' in a logic (e.g. open-ended
changes in understandings), and that structure of conceptual and causal
explanation involves at its core an unarticulated background understanding of
things, problems, ourselves, and the structure of our own doings.

The most important point for historians of economics is that history
contains an impressively rich casting of the alternatives in which the
problems and explanatory components of the discipline can be conceived --
with the background of alternatives being a vital non-optional component
of any explanatory enterprise.  It is, as Comim suggests, a world rich
with articulated reflection upon our background understanding, which
unlike the dead restrictions of contemporary formalisms, leaves open room
creative reflection, explanatory progress, and open-ended advances in our
understanding of actual phenomena.

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside