From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:26:20 -0800
Re Perelman's question about windpower, England had less need of it than
Holland because England had falling water. On the role of water power in the
textile revolution in England, one good source is Rollin S. Atwood,
“Localization of the Cotton Industry in Lancashire, England,” Economic
Geography, 4, No. 2 (April, 1928).

Schumpeter's allegation that Luddites kept windpower out of England looks
suspiciously akin to the "blame labor" tendency of many economists, and
hardly fits with the wide use of water power in England, or with the harsh
suppression of labor so well documented both by novelists and economic
historians.

The technology has survival value. Northern New England was of course full
of millponds and flumes and water-wheels using low-head water power. As
recently as 1950 my neighbor in Vermont ran a small sawmill on such power
from a relatively level stretch of the Mettowee River, and many picturesque
old ponds and wheels remain for tourists to ogle. The "Vermont Yankee" nuke
near Brattleboro may have obsoleted the old millponds, but then again it may
melt down some time, and it is good to know we have water to fall back on.

Mason Gaffney