From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:22:09 +0100
A propos Mar Rubio on Eileen Power at the LSE and "the feminine dimension in economics", this is what Lauchlin Currie (LSE 1922-25) wrote in his memoirs (also see his "The LSE in Retrospect", in The LSE Magazine, November 1986):
      "The most liked teacher at the School was Lillian Knowles, the economic historian. Her book was almost unreadable but she had a warm, kindly personality that endeared her to the students. Eileen Power, the historian, was the Glamor Girl on the Faculty...
       "Two younger teachers who had a great influence on me were Eve and Arthur R. Burns. She was Cannan's assistant and he a lecturer in King's College and I passed many enjoyable and highly stimulating evenings at a kind of seminar they organized at their apartment. They later came to the United States where she became one of the outstanding authorities on social legislation and he, Chairman of the Department of Economics at Columbia University - both remaining excellent friends throughout the years."

A propos Mason Gaffney and others on Elinor Ostrom and the Nobel prize, I may mention that after a seminar in 1980 I was driving Joan Robinson to her daughter's home in Glasgow and asked whether she approved of the recent award of the Nobel prize to Lawrence Klein. "Excellent. A good Keynesian," she replied. Nervously I thn asked if she didn't feel aggrieved at not having been awarded it herself. Turning conspiratoriously to me with a mischievous sparkle in her remarkable blue eyes, she whispered, "I'd rather have the grievance."

Lastly, on prominent female economists outside of academe perhaps it is worth mentioning Eleanor Lansing Dulles (1895-1996), sister of Allen and John Foster Dulles, who gained her PhD under Allyn Young at Harvard in 1926 (on inflation in France; was this a female "first"?) and who, after teaching at various colleges for 10 years, entered government service as a senior economist from 1936 until 1962 when she returned to teaching, first at Duke University and then Georgetown.

- Roger Sandilands