From:
Michael Nuwer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:52:27 -0400
On 8/20/2012 5:39 PM, Humberto Barreto wrote:
> ------ EH.NET <http://eh.net/> BOOK REVIEW ------
>
> Esben Sloth Andersen (Professor of Evolutionary Economics at Aalborg
> University in Denmark) is in tune with many of his fellow European
> Schumpeter scholars, who tend to focus on extending the implications
> of Schumpeter's evolutionary method, and to give substantial attention
> to all of Schumpeter's moves; ...

Use of the term "evolutionary" to describe Schumpeter's method creates a
risk of considerable confusion. Economists interested in the process of
change might better follow a distinction that Richard Lewontin offers
for viewing biological change, that is, to distinguish between
evolutionary processes and developmental processes:

"Development is a transformational theory of change. In transformational
theories the entire ensemble of objects changes because each individual
object undergoes during its lifetime the same law-like history. ... In
contrast, the Darwinian theory of organic evolution is based on a
variational model of change. The ensemble of individuals changes, not
because each individual is undergoing a parallel development during its
life, but because there is variation among individuals and some variants
leave more offspring than others." (The Triple Helix, pp. 8-9)

For biologists then, "evolution is change in the properties of
populations of organisms or groups of such populations" (Douglas J.
Futuyma, "Evolutionary Biology"). In other words, it is populations that
evolve but individuals do not.

Schumpeter repeatedly emphasized that the sources of change are "from
within," and the school of evolutionary thinking that surrounds the
Journal of Evolutionary Economics follows this path. Ulrich Witt, for
example, defines evolution as "the transformation of a system over time
through endogenously generated change." And Nicolai Foss sees evolution
as "the transformation of already existing structures and the emergence
and possible spread of novelties." Following Lewontin's dichotomy,
however, Witt and Foss are talking about development not evolution.

I don't mean to imply that transformational change is unimportant; but
the risk of confusing that kind of change with processes that are more
akin to a variational model of change (random variation, inheritance,
selection, etc.) is high when a single term is used to define two
distinct processes.

Michael Nuwer