From:
Aiko Ikeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:03:29 -0500
My query is related to the venue of conference for the 200th
anniversary of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS, or the Academy
of Sciences of the USSR) held in September 1925. Was it in Leningrad
or Moscow? And I would like to get some evidence.

Robert Skidelsky's _John Maynard Keynes: The Economist as Saviour,
1920-1937_ (1992) has several photographs between p. 220 and p. 221.
One of them is the picture entitled "John Maynard Keynes in Petrograd
for the 200th anniversary of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1925".

However, the name of Petrograd was changed to Leningrad in 1924.
(Now, it is called Saint Petersburg.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg

We know Maynard Keynes and Lydia Lopokova actually spent one week in
Leningrad and a second week in Moscow in September 1925 (Professor
Richard Keynes's letter to me of 17 October 2008).

The Japanese economist Tokuzo Fukuda participated in the conference.
He was three persons left from Keynes in the memorial photograph of
1925 (It was confirmed by M. Yasukawa). Fukuda's essay "Changes in
Economic Structure and the Questions of Productivity and Population:
Lectures and Debate in Moscow, 1925" (in Japanese, 1930) suggests
that the conference was held in Moscow and the photograph was taken
there. Fukuda did not say that he had visited Leningrad.

Fukuda (1930) says that in 1925 the Russian Academy of Sciences
organized an international conference by inviting international
scholars, including six economists. Maynard Keynes, Eli Hecksher, and
Tokuzo Fukuda were among the six.

I did not find any information of the conference on the English Web
site of RAS. I cannot read Russian.

http://www.ras.ru/index.aspx?_Language=en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Academy_of_Sciences

I contacted Professor Robert Skidelsky and Professor Richard D.
Keynes (brother of Dr. Milo Keynes), and they encouraged me to clear
up this mystery.

Thank you for your information and suggestion.

Aiko Ikeo (in US)