From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 08:09:48 -0700
In Marshall's discussion of the optimal height of buildings he deftly points
out that a given floor space may be produced by shortening a tall building
while broadening its base, thus substituting land for capital. At the same
time, of course, the land complements the capital that rests on it.

It would be hard to believe that Marshall was the first to perceive such a
simple and basic idea. One can almost always find earlier expositors by
searching long enough. Salamanca drew on Aquinas who drew on Aristotle and
so on back and back, while probably Chinese and Incan and Cambodian
temple-builders observed the same principles in their own times, places, and
languages.  The more important matter is, what does one do with the
knowledge once one finds it?

Mason Gaffney