From:
M June Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 18:59:33 +0300
Here's a good place to start

Rockoff, Hugh (2003) "How long did it take the United States to become an
optimal currency area?" Forrest H. Capie and Geoffrey E. Wood, eds.,
International Studies in Money and Banking, vol. 18. London and New York:
Routledge.

To relieve the suspense, the answer is: "not until after the New Deal".
This should give you some insight into as to why Europe isn't yet making it
(if it ever will).

Professor M June Flanders
The Eitan Berglas School of Economics
Tel Aviv University