From:
"Henry, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:45:43 +0000
New Economics Perspectives has many pieces specifically on this issue. My colleagues Stephanie Kelton and Randall Wray have given testimony on this matter to several EU governments. (http://neweconomicperspectives.org/)

Professor Flanders is absolutely correct. The Euro is not a "sovereign currency," thus the Euro states have given up their abilities to influence their respective economies. If one returns to the "Chartalist," "State Money," "Modern Money" theoretical approach--an issue in the "Methodenstreit" and the approach adopted by Keynes in the GT, by the bye--one understands the reasoning behind this. We might also remember Lerner's "Functional Finance" on this matter.

John

John F. Henry
Department of Economics
University of Missouri-Kansas City