From:
Parisi Daniela Fernanda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 13:36:28 +0200
A: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Parisi Daniela Fernanda
Oggetto: R: [SHOE] Two Samuelson Questions

Daniela Parisi forwarded me the e-mail reproduced below. I try to answer the question: " Did Samuelson ever  say "We are all Sraffians Now"? I have my doubts but have seen it quoted.".

I never read this quotation in a Samulson's writing. Maybe he told it somewhere, given the high opinion he had about Sraffa and some Sraffians. The quotation is referred in inverted commas in the entry "Neo-Ricardianism" written by Subgur Savren for The Elgar Companion of Marxist Economics.

In any case it should be interpreted in Samuelson's sense, i.e., in the sense that political economy is a continuous flow in evolution (from Questany, Smith, Ricardo, Marx, to Walras, Debreu, Sraffa, Solow, etc.), characterized by the same logical framework; a point highly disputable, ... but this was, roughly, his opinion!

Best regards,
Enrico

Enrico Bellino
Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largo Gemelli, 1
20123 - Milano
(Italy)

phone: +39 02 7234 2693 (or +39 02 7234 2918)
fax: +39 02 7234 2406 (or +39 02 7234 2923)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web page: http://docenti.unicatt.it/ita/Enrico_Bellino