From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:22:42 -0400
I don't know if this is off base, but Nicholas threw out an opportunity, which is hard to resist for me. I became addicted to Jane Austen growing up in India many eons ago. There is nothing shocking about 'gentle' Jane's writing on money, sex and power (a conference on this topic is planned this year by Jane Austen Society). Because Austen was a clear-eyed observer of social and economic norms and described them with masterly touches of a novelist. Her private letters show just what a deep-down cynic she could be on human nature and behavior. But more importantly, in her books she showed the real effects of the rigid British class-society. She did not moralize, just showed it for what it was. She is criticized for 'accepting' the socio-economic order of her day. She was not a reformer like Charles Dickens. But she didn't have to be. The portrait of her times, economic and otherwise, is a stinging rebuke on many levels.

I suppose this is off- base after all. My apologies, indeed.

Cheers,

Sumitra Shah