SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ingrid Waldron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:36:25 -0300
Press Release

North End Matters

Megan Leslie, MP and Glen Knockwood of the Kitpu Youth Program join us
on this week?s show

July 18, 4pm Live-Streamed

                            Dr. Ingrid Waldron

North End Matters, hosted by the North End's own Charla Williams, is
generating a lot of excitement and dialogue after only two episodes.
Our next broadcast brings together Megan Leslie, MP and Glen
Knockwood, of the Kitpu Youth Program, to discuss the defunding of the
Kitpu youth program by the federal government.

Megan Leslie has been Halifax's MP since 2008. She is a member of the
New Democratic Party and serves as the NDP deputy leader and critic
for the environment. Until May 2010, she was the critic for housing
and homelessness, deputy critic for justice and deputy critic for
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Affairs (urban issues). Ms. Leslie's
tireless work for all Canadians has impressed many nationwide, and we
are delighted to have her as a guest.

Glen Knockwood has been the Director of Halifax's Kitpu Youth Program
for the past three years. A former Kitpu Youth himself, Glen is very
informed about his aboriginal culture and community. His respect for
others, self-discipline, and love for the outdoors and physical
activity have inspired the children that he works with nearly every day.

North End Matters is produced by Pink Dog Productions for Dr. Ingrid
Waldron, Assistant Professor in the School of Occupational Therapy at
Dalhousie University and hosted by haligonia.ca. This online series is
based on Dr. Waldron's study, ?Challenges and Opportunities:
Identifying Meaningful Occupations in Low Income, Racialized
Communities in North End Halifax?. Last winter Pink Dog Productions
produced a video that served as a stimulus for a diverse group of
people to discuss and maybe even find solutions to the cycle of
poverty and its devastating effect on health (and therefore on our
economy). A forum, Can We Talk?, was held at the North Branch Library
in February that stimulated dialogue and offered new and creative ideas.

North End Matters is a live-streamed, online talk show that brings in
policy makers and service providers to discuss upcoming changes in the
North End. Our broadcast includes a chat system that enables viewers
to ask guests questions that matter to them. Please join us in this
community engagement! You can find us on Facebook and at haligonia.ca.

For more information:

Aaron Johnson or Sarah Wakely at: [log in to unmask] or 429-3647