Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:42 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Hansjoerg Klausinger)
Dear colleagues,

I am just working on a (German-language) edition of selected
journalistic
writings from the 1930s by such Austrian economists as Fritz Machlup,
Oskar=

Morgenstern and others. Part of my task as an editor is to identify
(incompletely cited) sources. May I ask for help, first, in finding out
the=

sources of two quotations, attributed to Schumpeter and (Emil) Lederer (in=

a consecutive posting I will ask two more queries concerning American
economists' responses to Roosevelt's New Deal).

In a column titled "Doctors of the economy" ("Aerzte der Wirtschaft", July=

9, 1933) Machlup comments on the public esteem of physicians (high) as
compared to economists (low). In this regard, he refers to two remarks,
the=

first one ascribed to Schumpeter, the second one to (Emil) Lederer.

Schumpeter is attributed (no direct quote) the remark that the
difference
between physicians and economists is that sometimes physically sick
persons=

indeed take their medicine whereas sick economies usually do not obey
the
prescriptions of economists. (The German original is: "... dass die
physisch Kranken die verschiedenen Arzneien zuweilen wirklich einnehmen,
die kranken Wirtschaften die Rezepte aber nicht befolgen.")

Lederer's remark, put under quotation marks, is: "In the economy - instead=

of swallowing the bitter pills prescribed by us [i.e. the economists] -
people prescribe themselves other, more tasty medicine and then complain
of=

us when their sweet pills have not cured them." (The German original:
"In
der Wirtschaft - anstatt die bitteren Pillen, die wir ihnen
verschreiben,
zu schlucken - verschreiben sich die Leute selber andre wohlschmeckende
Medizinen und beklagen sich dann noch =FCber uns, wenn ihre s=FC=DFen
Pillen=

ihnen nicht geholfen haben.")

Any hint at the sources of these remarks will be highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Hansjoerg Klausinger
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration