Sender:
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:28:49 -0400
7bit
From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
  Robert, thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now but
permit me to rephrase the policy goal that a dated currency policy
proposal aims to achieve.

There are two kinds of money: transferable bank deposits and currency.
The total money balance of each individual consists of two parts: a
deposit balance and a currency balance. By withdrawing currency from a
bank, an individual can increase her currency balance at the expense of
her deposit balance. And vice versa.

The government can more easily track deposit balances than currency
balances. Therefore, it can more easily enforce a sales tax or an income
tax on the money income earned by retailers and producers if individuals
transfer deposit when they exchange than if they transfer currency.

Given these assumptions, sellers of goods, in anticipation of a higher
tax on bank-recorded deposit transfers than on exchanges of currency,
tend to offer lower prices on currency transactions than on deposit
transactions. In order to take advantage of the lower prices, buyers of
such goods tend to withdraw more currency than they would in the absence
of a tax or in the absence of more easily traceable deposit transactions.

Underground economic activity consists of buying and selling consumer
goods and factors of production for currency in order to avoid the sales
or income tax.

The POLICY GOAL is to reduce the amount of this underground,
tax-avoidance economic activity.

Assuming that all currency consists of paper notes, dated currency
refers to currency which, at a date and time specified on the face of
the paper note, will become worthless as legal tender. This means that
after the date on the face of the note, no judge will enforce a contract
that is stated in terms of the dated currency and the government will
not accept the currency in payment of taxes. Banks may be ordered by
regulators to stop accepting deposits of the dated currency. The
government also does not offer to exchange the dated currency for
anything of  value.

The literature you have in mind proposes that dated currency, as defined
here, could achieve the above-stated policy goal.

Is all this an accurate and fair interpretation of your implicit
assumptions and definitions?

If these are the correct assumptions, my analysis was not directed at
the policy proposal you implicitly had in mind. The policy would not
cause the use of money to die; it would cause the use of currency will die.

However, could not the effect of eliminating the use of currency in
exchange be achieved more simply by outlawing all currency transactions
after a certain date?

My earlier analysis would be correct only in a pure currency economy.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics