From:
"Colander, David C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:38:39 +0000
I am back from my trip and do not want to encourage any further discusion of this issue.   I think the discussion  seems to have run its course, and should be taken off line for those who are interestedc in continuing.  I will only say that I believe my point was a technical one, and had nothing to do with policy or even history of thought. My technical point was that in a multiple equilibrium dynmamic model, what looks like inefficient actions in reference to a local equilibrium might be an efficient action in reference to an alternative global equilbrium. Thus, viewing Keynes as suggesting a multiple equilibrium model  to replace the Classical single equilibrium model without a consideration of short run dynamical adjustment problems provides a way of making sense of Keynes argument in which everyone can be right in some sense.  My general view is that any issue that continues for a long time without resolution involves framing and interpretation much more than logic, and the type of short discussions we can have in such interchanges will never be sufficient to resolve the issue, or change people's minds.

Dave