From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:02:18 -0400
On 7/20/2012 5:54 PM, Crmccann wrote:
> Filene objects to the notion of a Progressive "movement," not to the notion of ideological affinity.

And what "ideological affinity" does he suggest
provides the essence of progressivism?
Hint: none: not even the optimism and activism
taken as essential by Hofstadter. (I confess that
I think Hofstadter is basically right, nevertheless.)

Which dismantles your attempts to e.g. associate
progressivism with eugenics. Eugenics was a fad.
Some progressives were susceptible. Some weren't.
(As with conservatives. E.g., Popenoe.)

Alan Isaac