From:
michael perelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:09:59 -0700
The problem with much of this discussion is that it tries to
selectively place a left or right label where the dividing line can be
complex.

Is Ron Paul right or left?  He is against wars.  Does that make him a
rightest.  He is against abortion.  Does that make him something other
than a libertarian.

Much of Obama's policies are to the right of Bush's. What does that
make him?  Much of Nixon's policies are to the left of Obama's.

Rather than deal with complexity, we apply labels.

I don't think that anybody described themselves at the as Progressive
to make a left-wing identification.  Calling for more state control is
not necessarily a monopoly of leftists or is Bush/Cheney of part of
the left.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department