From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Betsey Price indicated in an earlier message that she would be interested
in collecting comments regarding Kuhn's influence in the history of
economics and the social sciences. I would be interested in people sharing
such comments with the entire HES list.

After posting the Kuhn obituary from the NY Times, I decided to forward
you my own brief remarks about Kuhn:

Kuhn's influence on my own work has been substantial, although not always
explicitly acknowledged. As a high school student, I was taught by my
father and my other teachers to treat different philosophical systems, and
different approaches to the social sciences, as different "ways of seeing"
the world -- "worldviews" was the word we used back then. When I
encountered Kuhn's _Structure of Scientific Revolutions_ in an
undergraduate intellectual history course, it immediately struck me as
being "right" because it re-inforced the perspectival approach I had
already developed. Eventually I decided to pursue grad. work in economics
because I was interested in immersing myself in the economist's "way of
thinking" in order to understand the important role that economics had
come to play in the modern world. Despite the outcome of discussions of
possible paradigm shifts within economics (was Keynesianism--or
marginalism, rat.expections, etc.--a revolution?), I have always
interpreted Kuhn first and foremost in terms of the perspectival approach
to scientific ideas that I first appreciated in his work. [I realize now
that my reading of Kuhn was strongly influenced by my own phenomenological
views.]

Kuhn's work has been foundational for my work, but not always definitive.
For example, I remember long discussions with my philosophy of science
counterparts in graduate school over whether there was any sense of
progress in a Kuhnian framework. I said then what I would say now: it
seemed to me that Kuhn (and I, by extension) was more interested in the
differences between paradigms than in the possibility of constructing an
account of movement between them that constituted progress (toward what?).
But today I would add two things: (i) an account of scientific ideas which
ignores scientific practice is at best lop-sided (from his later work, I
think Kuhn would agree); and (ii) scientific activity provides a set of
"resistances and accomodations" between ideas and practices that makes
the transition between paradigms less "revolutionary" or at least less
cataclysmic than the popular image of Kuhnian philosophy of science
suggested.

Kuhn's work has also informed my teaching. My history of economic thought
class is primarily an exercise in Kuhnian philosophy and history of
science: my purpose is to get students to "see" the different perspectives
that past thinkers have brought to their study of economic activity, and
begin to interpret the transitional periods (understood now in less
"revolutionary" terms).

Ross

Ross B. Emmett                Editor, HES and Co-manager CIRLA-L
Augustana University College
Camrose, Alberta CANADA   T4V 2R3
voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]