From:
Steve Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 02:02:58 +0000
I would just add that, having attended several MPS meetings, the debates and discussions there were as vigorous as any I can recall at any similar sort of meeting.  I have been a member for almost 20 years and never once has any MPS member asked me what my views were on economics, politics, the history of ideas, or any other thing.  Presumably, as Professor Kolev notes, the membership committee wants members who broadly fit the organization's aims, just as is true of any other civil society organization of that sort, no matter what aims bind them together.

The accusation of a party line and a refusal to debate is both descriptively inaccurate and a shows a real misundertanding of the organization's primary function from the start, which was to serve as a forum for networking and the exchange of ideas for its members.

Steve Horwitz