From:
Richard Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:13:33 -0700
Thanks Rob Tye for your thoughtful comments. Here is our response. We
associate the First Industrial Revolution with automated textile machinery
(that produced the most important manufactured good of the time) and the
steam engine. Of course, there were other innovations as well, such as major
advances in metallurgy. The mass production factory, Fordism and Taylorism
did not come until the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a result of the
introduction of the unit-drive electric motor that replaced the central
power source of a large steam engine that distributed its power to
individual machines by shafts and belts. That others than Europeans were
able to produce some commodities in large quantities in factory-style
arrangements is beyond doubt. Incidentally, the Venetians produced a mass of
galleys using a canal-based assembly line in preparation for the
confrontation with the Turks that culminated in the battle of Lepanto. But
the pervasive use of mechanical power not tied to fast running streams and
automated production of important consumer goods were unique to Europe in
the First Industrial Revolution. (For a review of the literature on Chinese
and European productivity and technology in the mid-18th century which
suggests that Chinese productivity was not on a par with Britain's in 1737
see Clark's "A Farewell to Alms".).

Incidentally, for reasons spelled out in our book (and a CJE article by
Lipsey and Carlaw) we do not accept changes in productivity (whether
multi-factor or otherwise) as a good measure of techn;ogical change. About
half the profession agrees with us while the other half continues to use it
as a measure of technological change.

We were careful to say that our list of GPTs was not intended to be
complete, just illustrative, although it probably covers the majority of
them. Money is clearly a highly transforming technology in freeing us from
the limitations of barter but how important was the invention of coinage (in
China at an uncertain date and in Mesopotamia in the mid 3rd century BC) is
uncertain at us, but it would be interesting to research that matter
further. Is coinage narrowly understood, or money widely understood, a GPT?
If so, we would make it money, not just coinage?  (1) It is widely used
through the economy. (2)  It was improved over time and, if we include paper
money, over a very long time. (3) It has the usually stated multiple
purposes as a medium of exchange, a unit of account, and a means of stored
value. Important and transforming it surely was and it can at least be
argued that it fulfils the structural definition of a GPT.

regards
Richard Lipsey (in consultation with Cliff Bekar)