From:
Richard Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:22:03 -0700
Since no one else has taken up Anthony Waterman-s question about Acemoglu
and Robinsons' book I offer the following short comment.

I believe Acemoglu and Robinsons' treatment is useful but one sided. I agree
with Jared Diamond in his review( New Your Review of Books) that even on
their own level of analysis they omit some important forces, such as access
to waterways, climate, and soil fertility. I also agree with Jeffery Sachs'
review in Foreign Affairs that their approach is overly simplistic. It omits
many factors that matter and those that they argue really do matter
sometimes do and sometimes do not in fact matter. For example, those
countries that became the four original Asian Tigers where under
authoritarian governments when smart policy makers rejected the
then-prevailing Prebish import substitution model of economic development
and adapted policies designed to assist their firms' in climbing the steep
learning curve to become successful exporters in the fierce world of
international competition.

To give an example of important things not considered by A&R, note that one
absolutely necessary condition for having the levels of income that we
experience today, and hence the growth rates over much of the recent past,
is the existence of Western science. Without it there could have been no
Second Industrial Revolution, there would have been no dynamo, no chemical
industry, no green revolution, no computer-based ITC revolution, to say
nothing of the forthcoming revolutions of nanotechnology and biotechnology.
A&R's treatment tells us nothing about the sufficient conditions for the
science and the technologies on which they depend to be developed when and
where they were. For one way-out illustration of forces that are at a quite
different level than those studied by A&R and that help to explain the
"where" consider how the differences between the Islamic countries and the
Western ones were influenced by some critical historical accidents.
Christianity had to persuade its way into favor in the sophisticated society
of the Roman Empire while the Islamic religion was spread through conquest
in the century that followed the death of the Prophet. As a result the
Christian church fathers had to become familiar with Greek science and
philosophy while the Islamic religious leaders remained largely ignorant of
it. In a second momentous historical accident, during the revival of
learning the Greek writings that had been translated into Latin and hence
were available in the West did not include those of Aristotle. After some
controversy, the Christian church fathers became committed to the view that
Christianity was fully compatible with Greek science. Later, Aristotle's
works with their several key doctrines that seemed inconsistent with the Old
Testament became available. By then it was too late to turn back from the
full acceptance of Greek science, although a century of controversy ensued
as its works were woven into Christian theology. In contrast, when the
Islamic leaders commissioned transitions of Greek writings into Arabic, they
encountered Aristotle at the outset. As a not surprising result they
relegated Greek science to a secondary position behind, and subservient to,
religious writings. As I pointed out in my original response to Robin Neill
“…a scientific revolution could not have occurred in Western Europe in the
seventeenth century if the level of science and natural philosophy had
remained what it was in the first half of the twelfth century…” (Douglas
Grant)

Richard Lipsey