From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
=================== HES POSTING ======================

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, C.N.Gomersall broadened his question:

> In fact, my original question goes beyond the terms themselves and extends
> to the ideas which they represent. The idea that, say, one's money wage was
> a kind of mask, so to speak, and that what mattered was what it could buy,
> i.e., one's real wage, very loosely defined... in what mediaeval, even
> ancient writers, has this idea been discussed? What connections are there,
> if any, between "real" economic variables and Platonic ideas (neo- or
> otherwise) of "essence"?

I don't speak for the Ancients or the philosophers; I am only the fourth
wheel on our editorial tricycle here at HES.

Tony Brewer(?) notes here that questions such as C.N.'s original can
be interpreted broadly or narrowly, regarding "concepts" or "terms".
Regarding the concept or family of concepts, where C.N. refocuses
above, we must consider all of the following English-language adjectives
from 18-19c economics:
  real
  actual
  intrinsic
  natural
and no doubt others (essential?).

In my judgment:
Typically, those who coin such terms (give them some technical sense), and
many who circulate them, mean to emphasize what is real/etc, to propose
the real/etc as the object of study, to suggest that the real/etc is what
is important.  That is, they are anti-nominalists rather than nominalists.
--programmatic anti-nominalists (what we should study) or philosophic ones
(what is important).

----Paul

Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
HES e-subscriptions manager and co-editor