Date:
------------ EH.NET BOOK REVIEW --------------
Published by EH.NET (March 2004)

J. M. Pullen and Trevor Hughes Parry, editors, _T.R. Malthus: The
Unpublished Papers in the Collection of Kanto Gakuen University_.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Volume I, 1997. xxiv + 140 pp.
$70/=A345 (cloth), ISBN: 0-521-58138-9; Volume II, 2004. xviii + 341
pp. $100/=A360 (cloth), 0-521-58871-5.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Samuel Hollander, Department of Economics,
Ben-Gurion University.

Patricia James, Malthus's biographer, who lived with her subject for
fifteen years, found him "as interesting and lovable as his friends
described him." After only ten years of work on his economics I came
away with the same impression of intellectual honesty and courage,
and personal appeal belying all the old saws relating to his
hardheartedness. This portrait is readily confirmed in the two-volume
set of hitherto unpublished Malthus papers under review. The first
volume contains 75 letters (presumed to have been lost) to and from
Malthus, some of which have been cited by his biographers,
contemporary and modern; the second comprises hitherto unknown
materials by Malthus: four sermons, his diary of a tour of the Lake
District in 1795, a document on the calculation of profits on bullion
trade transactions, a draft essay on foreign trade of 1811, lecture
notes on British and early European history and a series of brief
items on miscellaneous economic topics. There are materials relating
to Malthus's wife Harriet, an appendix listing documents in the
collection but not reproduced, and another containing "letters" to
David Ricardo the authorship and dating of which is unclear. The
second volume closes with a description of the Kanto Gakuen Catalogue.

All in all, while the materials in these volumes may not engender a
fully-fledged revision of opinion regarding Malthus, their subject
certainly emerges in sharper focus and, in some cases, from an
unfamiliar perspective. The University and the editors are to be
applauded for their achievement in saving the collection for
posterity and providing so splendid an accompaniment. And if some of
the correspondence will be found familiar, this is in no small part
due to the earlier published researches by Professor Pullen himself.
In any event, full appreciation of these volumes requires detailed
knowledge of the background issues, and the editorial apparatus and
commentary succeed brilliantly in providing access to the historical
(including linguistic) context and relevant literature, making the
work a joy to read.

The first volume includes seventeen letters relating to Malthus's
schooldays (1779-84) of which nine are to and four from his father
Daniel; and twenty-five relating to his Cambridge University years
(1784-93) of which thirteen are by Malthus and twelve by Daniel. Here
father and son emerge as a delightful partnership, their relationship
one of mutual consideration, affection and much good humor, both
parties at once serious and fun-loving. The exchanges reveal only a
few instances of tension, one reflecting Daniel's nervousness
regarding his financial difficulties and concern that Malthus may
have been living at college too extravagantly, a concern the latter
convinced him finally was unjustified; and another his wish that
Robert apply himself to practical applications as a balance to his
formal "speculative" studies, a difference that turned on a
misunderstanding. On the whole, Daniel gave his son much sound
advice; and Malthus fully merited his father's confidence.

It remains unclear why Robert was sent to a Nonconformist school --
though a non-conformist, Daniel was not a Nonconformist -- and, when
it closed down, to study with Gilbert Wakefield, a progressive
teacher (subsequently found guilty of treason and jailed). Presumably
Daniel found the curriculum more "progressive" than at Church of
England schools. As for Malthus himself, the correspondence relating
to his University years seems to point (at least to begin with) to
other leanings than the Church: "If you will give me leave to proceed
in my own plan of reading for the next two years (I speak with
submission to your judgement) I promise you at the expiration of that
time to be a decent natural philosopher, & not only to know a few
principles, but to be able to apply those principles in a variety of
useful problems" (11 February 1786; 42). The exchanges with his
father turn on matters as diverse as the accuracy of thermometers,
ice-skating and the theater but not theology. One letter (15 April
1784), however, does provide an early indication of his intention to
seek ordination: "... before I went into orders, I should have liked
to take a degree either at Oxford or Cambridge" (23); nonetheless, in
response to his father's observation (19 December 1785) regarding the
desirability of _applied_ science -- "I desir'd to see you a
surveyor, a mechanick, a navigator, a financier, a natural
philosopher, an astronomer, & [not] a meer speculative algebraist"
(36) -- Robert simply pointed out that "a knowledge of [such] kind
would be difficult to obtain before I took my degree ..." (41),
making no reference to alternative plans in the Church. And there is
a letter from Daniel commenting on Robert's expression of his "love
of letters": "I have no doubt that you will be able to procure any
distinction from them you please -- I am far from repressing your
ambition ..." (June 16, 1787; 51). That even at this time Malthus did
not intend the Church as _primary_ profession, is perhaps suggested
by his response to advice received from the master of Jesus College
regarding his prospects: "He seem'd at first rather to advise against
orders upon the idea that the defect in my speech would be an
obstacle to my rising in the Church, & he thought it a pity that a
young man of some abilities should enter into a profession without,
at least, some hope of being at the top of it. When however I
afterwards told him that the utmost of [my] wishes was a retired
living in the country, he said he did not imagine that my speech
would be much objection in that case ..." (19 April 1786; 47).

The correspondence reveals that Daniel was supportive of his son's
decision to seek ordination, for despite his own financial
difficulties he offered to make up any shortfall from the stipendiary
curacy at Okewood Chapel which he helped Robert secure in the first
place (20 March 1789; 55); at the same time, his own "unorthodoxy" is
apparent in a letter -- one of six in a section on "later family
correspondence" (1796-9) -- in which he encourages Robert's efforts
to publish the (now non-extant) pamphlet "The Crisis," even though
success might harm his longer-term prospects in the Church (14 April
1796; 63).

The sermons published in Volume II reveal the seriousness of
Malthus's early commitment to his clerical duties. That of 7 June
1789 may be the first Malthus delivered as ordained deacon licensed
to the curacy of Okewood Chapel; the second was read shortly
thereafter. Equally important, as the editors point out, it can
scarcely be said -- as some have said -- that Malthus's commitment
waned with the passage of time, since the third sermon was given at
the East India College as late as 1832. Study of these sermons will
doubtless fuel the on-going debate regarding the decision to remove
the two theological chapters of the 1798 _Essay_ from later editions,
since their interpretation is by no means plain sailing.

I return to Volume I and a section containing fifteen letters
involving "Themes from the _Essay on Population_," all but one to
Malthus. One written by Edward Daniel Clarke, fellow of Jesus College
and traveling companion of Malthus, describes some characteristic
objections to the two theological chapters, and here we find
reference to a meeting between Malthus and William Godwin regarding
the efficacy of "prudence" (20 August 1798; 73-7). A second, of 1806,
by the physician Thomas Beddoes makes the important point that
longevity and healthiness are not to be identified as Malthus
sometimes implied in the _Essay_ (78-9). One by Samuel Whitbread
dated 5 April 1807 explains convincingly why the empowerment of
parishes to build cottages, as envisaged in his Poor Law bill, should
not raise Malthus's concern since it would provide shelter for the
_existing_ population rather than encourage population growth (80-5).
The section also involves seven letters dated 1822 by the
mathematician Bewick Bridge regarding various demographic
calculations. A letter dated 1821 by Pierre Pr=E9vost, French
translator of the _Essay_, contains an unflattering remark regarding
J.B. Say's "sarcasms" (92). The sole letter by Malthus is to
Wilmot-Horton regarding emigration (c. 15 February 1830), and will be
of interest for those who see Malthus as increasingly optimistic
regarding the operation of prudential control. While he points to the
likelihood that the effect of contraction of labor supply in
improving wages would be short-lived, we also find important
qualifications: "It is a very just and philosophical observation ...
that when a population passes rapidly from a very depressed to a much
better state, it is to be apprehended that the power of custom will
'not give way immediately to the influence of an emproved condition
and that the moral change will not be accomplished so quickly as the
physical one.' This would not however weigh with me against a plan of
emigration in certain circumstances of a country; but surely the
contemplation of the probability of it cannot be called
unphilosophical if the conclusions of philosophy are to rest as they
ought to do upon large experience" (103-4).

A series of nine items of miscellaneous correspondence bring the
first volume to a close. One to Francis Horner dated 5 February 1810
is of high significance since it opines that even should the Bank of
England not be responsible for the low sterling exchange rate, "the
remedy ... can be no other than a diminution of the issues of Bank
paper" (110), which is, of course, Ricardo's view. (In his "Pamphlets
on the Bullion Question" of 1811, Malthus accepted that the empirical
evidence _did_ inculpate the Bank.) There is further confirmation of
his conservative monetary policy, consistent with later published
work, in the concern expressed with the discretionary scope allowed
the Bank under inconvertability, and -- while recognizing the
deflationary dangers of note contraction -- insistence on (gradual)
contraction (111).

Other letters in the miscellaneous category include one on the Corn
Laws from Frances Jeffrey of 12 May 1814 when Malthus was still known
as a free trader (118); and one by Karl Heinrich Rau (15 June 1821)
which intimates that he shared Malthus's position against Say, though
strangely proceeding: "I have felt it necessary to contest the
possibility of a general Glut of Commodities" (127). He also seems to
have read Malthus as favoring government "interference" but is not
more specific; conceivably he intended Malthus's case for public
works. Two letters by Malthus (one dating to 1825 or later, the other
to 1828 or later) relate to the Measure of Value. Here he spells out
what he took to be the major difference with Ricardo -- the "grand
distinction" -- that relative values reflect not only relative labor
input but changes in the profit rate assuming differential organic
corpositions (to use Marx's terminology) (130). This scarcely seems a
convincing reading of Ricardo, but at least there is confirmation
that the measure is designed to mark "variations in the relative
values of commodities with reference to the conditions of their
supply ..." (134). Here too we encounter Malthus's adherence to the
"proportionality theorem," though with the qualification that "[a]
rise of proportional wages is not the primary _cause_ of low profits
... but the _consequence_" (136). By this Malthus seeks to emphasize
the secular fall in the profit rate due to "increased abundance of
capital and consequent increase of the supply of commodities compared
with the producers & consumers"; it need not be read as a _general_
rejection of the Ricardian causal sequence which in fact is spelled
out with eminent clarity in his _Measure of Value_ (1823) and in the
_Quarterly Review_ (1824).

Two items in the second volume will be of particular interest to
historians of economic thought. First, the analysis of bullion trade
transactions which illuminates the Ricardo-Malthus exchanges of 1813
on the profitability of gold movements between London and Amsterdam;
here the editors surpass themselves in their splendid commentary
designed to make sense of, and bring order to, the notes. And the
essay on foreign trade, a draft paper of 1811 elaborating aspects of
Malthus's position in the formal and informal "bullionist"
controversy with Ricardo.

Samuel Hollander is Professor of Economics at Ben-Gurion University
of the Negev, Israel. He is author of _The Economics of Thomas Robert
Malthus_ (1997) and _Jean-Baptiste Say and the Classical Canon in
Economics_ (Routledge 2005), and is completing his studies on the
economics of Karl Marx.

Copyright (c) 2005 by EH.Net. All rights reserved. This work may be
copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given to
the author and the list. For other permission, please contact the
EH.Net Administrator ([log in to unmask]; Telephone: 513-529-2229).
Published by EH.Net (March 2005). All EH.Net reviews are archived at
http://www.eh.net/BookReview.

-------------- FOOTER TO EH.NET BOOK REVIEW  --------------
EH.Net-Review mailing list