From:
Patrick Spread <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:41:01 -0000
Thanks to Rob Tye for his comments.

It is true that I see a pyramid as a good, but I see goods as imbued with
social and religious significance, rather than just physical. Social groups
imbue goods with significance. A Mercedes Benz has social significance. Some
people have to wear certain brands of clothes, because they have group
significance. A cathedral is something more than its physical state.

As you anticipate, I largely agree with your comments on social order.
Situation-related valuation is conceived in the context of a
'support-bargaining' system in which groups seek to assemble support.
Support has implications of violent capacity, so people will concede to
groups with extensive support. Such groups will establish social ascendancy.
Establishing social ascendancy means that the ideas and concepts of the
ruling group will tend to be adopted across the society. A ruling group like
that of a Pharaoh will ensure that its concept of the importance of a
pyramid is accepted in society at large. The ascendant group will impose on
the rest of society the situation concepts that suit its interests.

These ideas involve a system of 'support-bargaining' and 'money-bargaining'
that is incompatible with neoclassical theory. Neoclassical theory comes to
constitute only an outcome of the 'intellectual support-bargaining' by which
ideas are developed through the assembly of support in theory groups for the
furtherance of their interests. Neoclassical
economists rule in universities just as the Pharaohs ruled in Ancient Egypt!
The problem with Keynes, for me, is that he only modified neoclassical
theory, rather than replacing it.

I hope this makes sense - it is always difficult to encapsulate in a short
comment what is now a fairly extensive theory.

I believe the theory is of particular application in the study of economic
history, since it is easy to understand that economies evolve from situation
to situation. Even so, I am surprised to find myself expounding on the
social dynamic of Ancient Egypt.
Patrick Spread