From:
Richard Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:23:15 -0800
Thanks to Robin Neill for the good notice but I must offer a caveat. Most mainline growth courses start and finish with models that use a single aggregate production function with technology modelled as a single scalar value or residual that is either exogenous as in Solow type models or endogenous as in Romer and Lucas type models. Our book takes a different line, arguing that we need a lot of economic history to fully understand growth and if we do model growth formally, we need to model technology in a much more complex manner. We present our Mark 1 version of such models in the book but go much further in later models, the most developed one being in the Journal of Evolutionary Economics. I do not think it has come out yet in the hard copy edition but it is available in electronic version on the Journal’s web site.